Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Quick Thoughts on Elementary Math

Doing the math fact copywork is a major way of relaxing about math facts, it's getting done but it's not a pressure situation. I realized that I need to learn more about teaching math moreso than just blindly following a curriculum. It's not that I don't like or trust Horizons but how can you teach the whys if you don't know them yourself. The answer, "it is just the way I was taught or how I learned" isn't good enough for me.

Second grade isn't that hard to teach, it is the years beyond where my non-math mind will fail. Plus it is always good to have reference resources at hand for any subject you teach, in my opinion. I have oodles of books on foreign language, french, grammar, writing, reading, art and music but math almost has a non-existent presence in our home as far as teaching reference resources.

I'll post more about this as I learn more- about what titles are good resources and about any gems I find. Can I just say upper elementary and middle school math scares the dickens out of me? Lol.

 

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Good point, Jessica. For learning to think more deeply about teaching math I've heard good things about the book by, um, Ling-pi Ma?? something like that, who is or was connected with Singapore math. I'm sure I'll be completely embarrassed when I am corrected on her name -- that's what I get for not researching before making my comment, lol.

I am always inspired by exploring the math resources recommended at LivingMath.net. Great, great place to start when looking for books related to math learning and teaching and exploration.

Good luck!

blessings,
Barbara