Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Student Checklist for 2nd Grade

My goal was to create a little planner for Camille to help her own her work and to set up her to transition to independent work by 4th grade as much as possible. My brain turned to mush as I tried to figure out a way to set up a checklist for her, was it to be detailed? an overview? only focus on independent work?

I enlisted other homeschoolers advice and many of them shared their children's planners generously. Unfortunately, it left me confused. I printed their samples, look at them, wrote a list of what I think I'd like to put on it and printed that. Then Marcia Somerville's words echoed in my head, "grammar years should be spent on character education". Then my brain started working again, firing those neurons. I opened my coveted teacher book and looked at our selections for character education this year. Edgar Guest's True Nobility caught my eye and I remember why I chose this poem to focus on this year.

True Nobility
by Edgar Guest

Who does his task from day to day
And meets whatever comes his way,
Believing God has willed it so.
Has found real greatness here below.

Who guards his post, no matter where,
Believing god must need him there,
Although but lowly toil it be,
Has risen to nobility.

For great and low there's but one test:
`Tis that each man shall do his best.
Who works with all the strength he can
Shall never die in debt to man.


I looked up what nobility meant in the dictionary and of the definitions for noble is "having or showing high moral character, courage, generosity or self-sacrifice", and another definition is "worthy of admiration". I want to instill these qualities in my children and so I decided that "Rise to Nobility" would be our theme for 2nd grade. I put these words up on our wall with die-cut letters and right away Camille asked, "Mom, what is nobility?" And Mom says silently, gotcha!

Here's Camille's 2nd grade daily nobility record, it is to be used in a multiude of ways- for praise, for setting character goals, for establishing routine and responsibility. Click on the picture to see the full screen version.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!
Especially the section at the bottom
that addresses character.
I have a 13 y.o. boy who would benefit from a little character evaluation like this on a daily basis :-).
Btw, I live in Peachtree City..a few hours North of you and really appreciate your zest for homeschooling. I now have bookbags through my library that I would not have known about if you hadn't mentioned it.
I've been homeschooling longer than you, but I learn alot from you!
Thanks,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I love this theme of nobility and I have always loved that poem- I am going to have to steal this spreadsheet from you and modify to fit my schedule! That is exactly what I am trying to come up with! Sometimes, it just has to come through another to get our answer!

Your the best, Angela (Classic Mom)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica! I love your schedule! Its fantastic and perfect for a second grader.... Your children are blessed to have you as mum.

Lisawa

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
You are amazing! How do you find the time do all that you do?

Thanks for blogging and sharing your hard work!

Amy (in NY)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

Wow, I just saw your profile picture and boy your dd sure does look like her mama...great picture. : )

I am not commuting anymore, have not done so at all in 2007. Dh travels too much now to keep a house and motel living and constant moving around does not mix well with my boys. ; ) The good news though, is that Dh is home more than previously.

Yes we have really taken a liking to AO! The books that I've read to my DS so far have been a 'hit'. So this fall we are reading to jump in 100%.

Sandi said...

Again...whatt great ideas. What a timely reminder for me too that I only have a 7 year old and so much of what she still needs to learn is not in a book. I find it easy to forget with a child who is academically ahead.
I am interested in TOG for starting around grade 4 or 5.
THanks for posting your ideas and hard work. I know I benefit greatly.