Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Monday, June 11, 2007

Cleaning Plan of Action

Tell me what you think, I've been contemplating this for a while and I've even tried some other tactics but I'm at the point that we HAVE to establish a routine or we're a lost cause.

Chores are for Monday-Saturday with Sundays off. Dh argued that the Sabbath is actually Friday sunset until Monday sunrise, I told him Sundays are off. Only Sundays.

LAUNDRY. I hate laundry. I really hate laundry. I want someone to come wash/dry/iron/fold/put away our clothes. It isn't going to happen so I have to get real. Instead of doing the procrastination thing and letting it pile up, I've decided to do ONE LOAD a DAY.


Monday ~ Jeans
Tuesday ~ Towels
Wednesday ~ Whites
Thursday ~ Khakis
Friday ~ Dark Colors
Saturday ~ Light Colors & Sheets

Okay, so Saturday might be two loads, that's fine with me. Sheets are easy! No folding, straight from the dryer to the bed awaiting them and I think it would be a nice way to start Sunday. Clean, fresh, soft sheets- just enough to make you want to sleep in. Lol. Yeah, right.

My solution for socks. First off, the kids have plastic bins in their top drawer to keep their socks separate from their underwear and other items. Camille's socks have gray heels and toes, Danny's socks have Hanes written in blue, and dh's and my socks are easily identifiable. When sorting laundry to be laundered, I am putting both of the kids' socks in a zippered net bag (like a lingerie bag for washing) and dh and mine in another zippered net bag. This way, Camille can match up just hers and Danny's socks and I will do dh's and mine. I've eliminated 1/2 of the workload! Any socks that do not have matches still go in the person's drawer and hopefully they will meet their mate soon.

If not, the orphaned socks will be put into cleaning detail! Do you know how much help the kids are around the house with socks on their hands?

Socks + kids + pledge = dusted furniture
Socks + kids + windex = clean glass and mirrors
Socks + kids + PineSol = clean walls, baseboards, counters, sinks, wash the car, etc.

Just put the socks on the kids' hands and spray with whatever desired cleaning product and let them clean away! Put some fun, dancing music on and boogie throughout the house. I wouldn't suggest this for any child that would stick their sock in their mouth but Danny had a blast today cleaning the wall, dusting furniture and washing windows. I think I'm going to throw away all sponges and just use socks from now on. They can get into tighter spaces and when we're done, into the laundry they go! No worries about germs, mildew and bacterial growing in them like sponges. The only drawback is that it requires a little more elbow grease.

Daily, Weekly and Monthly Chores
I've taken each room and decided what needs to be done daily, weekly and monthly to keep our home under control. MrsCleanJeans' Housekeeping with Kids by Tara Aronson helped a lot with this and so did http://www.chartjungle.com which has free chore charts and more. I've put this in a spreadsheet for our family's use but I'll go room by room here. The daily chores will be divided amongst us and we will tackle the weekly chores for each room on a certain day every week.

Monday ~ Kitchen Weekly Chores
Tuesday ~ Den Weekly Chores
Wednesday ~ Bathroom 1 Weekly Chores
Thursday ~ Bathroom 2 Weekly Chores
Friday ~ Learning Room & Dining Room Weekly Chores
Saturday ~ Bedrooms & Hallway, Outside Weekly Chores


I've left room for modification, we could easily combine the bathrooms on one day instead of two. Saturday may have too many chores to be accomplished but we'll see. Each day the daily chores will be done plus the weekly chores of one room, seems managable.

KITCHEN

Daily:
  • Empty/Fill Dishwasher
  • Wipe Counters
  • Sweep Floor nightly
  • Set up coffee pot
  • Empty trash after dinner
  • Replenish Paper Towels
  • Feed Dog

Weekly:
  • Clean out Leftovers
  • Sweep/Mop
  • Clean Microwave
  • Wipe Cabinets
  • Clean Trash Can
  • Wash Dog bowls
  • Check Expiration Dates

Monthly:
  • Clean Fridge Inside and Out
  • Wash kitchen window inside and out

DEN
Daily:
  • Toy Pickup (before lunch, before bedtime)
  • Put away books
  • Put movies back
  • Vacuum if needed

Weekly:
  • Vacuum/Mop
  • Dust Furniture
  • Dust Ceiling Fan
  • Dust Lamps
  • Clean TV screen
  • Spot clean walls
  • Dust/Clean Baseboards
  • Clean under furniture
  • Vacuum under cushions

Monthly:
  • Wash blankets
  • Wash curtains

BATHROOMS
Daily:
  • Wipe Sink/Counter when finished
  • Stock Toliet Paper
  • Put clothes in hamper
  • Hang Towels
  • Put Toys Away
  • Squeeze/hang washcloth

Weekly:
  • Empty trash, preferably Wed. (day before Trash Day)
  • Clean tub/shower
  • Clean sink
  • Clean toilet
  • Clean mirrors
  • Sweep/Mop
  • Wash cabinets
  • Wash baseboards
  • Dust lights
  • Restock TP supply in cabinet
  • Replace towels

Monthly:
  • Wash blinds
  • Wash windows
  • Clean out drawers
  • Clean out cabinets
Learning Room & Formal Dining Room
Daily:
  • Books & Supplies Tidy-up
  • Toy pickup

Weekly:
  • Vacuum/Mop
  • Dust furniture
  • Dust chandelier
  • Dust lamps
  • File papers
  • Spot clean walls
  • Clean baseboards
  • Clean under furniture and under cushions

Monthly:
  • Replace A/C filter
  • Dust China
  • Dust drapes
  • clean windows
  • Purge school items

BEDROOMS AND HALLWAY

Daily:
  • Make Bed
  • Put clothes away
  • Put toys away nightly

Weekly:
  • Clean sheets
  • Sweep/Mop
  • Dust
  • Clean mirrors
  • Clean baseboards
  • Spot clean walls

Monthly:
  • Clean out closets
  • Wash blinds
  • Purge Drawers
  • Dust drapes

OUTSIDE
Daily:
  • Water plants and yard
  • pick up toys

Weekly:
  • Dog Poop Detail
  • Wash dog
  • Clean carport and drive (leaf-blower)
  • Wash car inside and out
  • Weed garden areas

Monthly:
  • Seasonal responsibilities


Here's the spreadsheet: Click Here


Okay, menu planning is next!

 

8 comments:

Jones Academy said...

Wow! This looks awesome...I've been looking for a break-down of daily/weekly/monthly chores (you would think it would be easy, but not when kids are around). I appreciate you putting it all in one place.

Also...that www.chartjungle.com looks AWESOME!

Have a great day,
Angela

Anonymous said...

On that menu planning thing, check out menus4moms.com

Love your blog btw, found it from the WTM board...

corby

Anna said...

Wow! Let us know if you manage to stay on top of everything. It can feel really good to have a plan of attack. BTW--Do you actually clean your blinds every month? I can't remember the last time I cleaned mine! (sheepish, embarrased grin...)

:)

Sandi said...

I don't like laundry either. I switched to one laod a day this year and it feels more managable. I can fold and but awa yone load. It's when it piles that I go crazy.
I clean with a room a day schedule. We moved twice this year so it kinda went our the window to a clean what's dirty schedule LOL!
I do find planning helps things run smooth.
I have never done a master list for groceries but thinking about trying it. I shop every two weeks...plan my meals and shop according to that plus the staples.

Thanks for sharing your ideas
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Jessica..

Thanks for posting your scedule! Our household "todo" list are very similar, you posted yours as I was working on mine. I have a ? if you don't mind.. Do you really wash your curtains monthly? I was thinking a bit less than that (but I'd shake/dust them). The whole cleaning curtains thing is an entire days work here, I'd never get schooling done.?? Also.. our A/C suggests changing the filter 2 times a year (& I don't use the heater portion) DO you really change yours monthly? I'm really trying to get my household in order- things run soo muhc smoother when mama is on top of things! Thanks for your continued postings.

Corby- who can't seem to figure out why I can't post a comment under my name..

Anonymous said...

This is great. I've used FlyLady's system, and it works when I use it, but I struggle with keeping on track. Your layout is much more user-friendly than the one I was using. I was doing a daily cleaning routine and separate weekly zones. I love how you can view daily/weekly/monthly all on the same page. This will work much better for me. Thanks a bunch! (saw your link on TOG's forum).

Karen @dixielandcrafts said...

I'm actually working on mine this week and I love how yours is all on one page. Easy reference. My problem is trying to fit time to actually do the work. My days are so full with 4 kids: 12yod & 2yo bbg triplets + homeschooling + daily chores

What is your secret to fitting in the weekly & monthly chores?

Thanks for sharing! I love your blog. Very inspiring.

Karen @dixielandcrafts said...

LOL I stumbled across your blog again and was reading, taking notes, etc. Then I started reading through the comments and saw my last comment. Well I'm not sure to laugh or cry because I've been here before; most likely with the same motive. (trying to develop a workable routine) Now I'm back again with still NO workable routine. Now I have a 13yo & 3yo bbg triplets and all I can say since my last comment, I've potty trained one of the triplets. LOL Still working with the boys.

Again I love your blog and your post is very motivating. I've wrote down a few ideas and hopefully will get myself on track very soon. Thanks again!