Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Julia Child, Fresh Fruit & Veggies

We're attempting to go a whole foods route with our menu (mostly from The French Chef Cookbook by Julia Child and French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano), we have vegetables and fruits coming out of our ears because dummy me bought a whole month's worth instead of realizing that I *should* buy each week.

Fresh vegetables:
leeks (which I'm making soup today)
artichokes,
rutabaga
onions,
garlic,
various greens for salad
celery,
green peppers,
carrots,
yellow squash,
zucchini
fresh herbs- parsley, rosemary and thyme.


Geesh, I think I left something out- oh yeah, broccoli, cabbage and I still have to find fresh eggplant.

Fresh Fruits:
Honeydew,
cantaloupe,
pineapple, (made Pineapple Sherbert today)
plums,
peaches,
apples,
pears,
red/white grapes,
oranges,
bananas,
and lemons.

I think that is it for the fruits, I might have forgotten something there too.

Our refrigerator is slam packed full- what can I blanch and store in the freezer until I need it? I know the leeks and artichoke needs to be cooked this week.


Our menu for today is
Breakfast: Yogurt, grapes, slice of French bread w/ butter. Rocquefort cheese does not taste good btw.
Lunch: Ham & cheese sandwiches with greens, fresh pineapple chunks.
Dinner: Leek & Potato Soup (pictured above), salad with fresh greens, and apple tart.
~~~
FOLLOW UP: The Leek & Potato soup will not have an encore performance in our household, the salad, french bread and salad were a hit. DH kept asking where the meat was. I was the only one who ate most of what was in our soup bowls. This is fine, we'll figure out what we like and move on from there.

~~~
I felt so healthy yesterday as I was grocery shopping bypassing ALL prepackaged and prepared foods and the cashiers were amazed as well asking questions. One thing I DO know is that I will NOT buy everything at once again and I HAVE TO plan a menu for the month and shop for the vegetables/fruits each week.

Help me salvage from my mistake!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am working on this myself! We are not going off all packaged foods but for the most part. The girls are still enjoying the occasional treat! I look forward to any advice others give on storing or preparing fresh produce. I find that it forces me to eat what I buy knowing it is going to spoil if I don't. Can you blanch some carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc for a stir-fry later? So far I have only bought frozen prepackaged stir-fry but I am planning to chop and mix my own variety. I am hoping I can blanch half and freeze for the next week! A friend is supposed to be bringing us deep sea fish and another lady gave us 3 pints of fresh, prepared strawberries. Yum! :) God is so good!
It cracks me up that I am so often immitating changes in your life without knowing it! :) You can read about why I am doing this in Tell The Truth Tuesdays on my sight. Praying you had a good visit! In Him, Eva

~Becky said...

That's awesome! I've tried to do this too, but end up buying packaged food eventually.
yes you want to do it weekly since you want the freshest possible food.
How was the potato and leek soup? Did the kiddos like it?
~Becky

Barbara said...

What an adventure! I always cook/serve better meals and snacks when we have lots of produce. My thoughts on your overabundance:

Good keepers, generally speaking: rutabaga, onions, garlic, carrots, cabbage, apples, oranges, lemons.

Eat up the greens first, and some yellow squash and zucchini. Keep a sharp eye on the melons and peaches for over-ripeness, and eat 'em up before it's too late.

You can freeze...
- Zucchini and yellow squash, grated, in 2-cup amounts, for later use in quick breads or muffins, a "wet" ingredient in coffeecake or even pancakes, or possibly mixed into tomato-based spaghetti sauce or meatloaf.
- Bell peppers, sliced or in quarters, for later cooking.
- Grapes! I'm told frozen grapes are a yummy treat.
- Bananas, in the skin or "bare" in a bag, to be used later in mashed form -- in banana bread or muffins, smoothies, or as a "wet" ingredient in pancakes.
- Plums and peaches, halved or sliced (Google for directions -- I forget what to do).

Various veggies and fruit have different humidity requirements in the fridge, and I think the apples need to stay away from a variety of other things (another Google topic).

Onions and garlic can stay on the counter or in a cupboard, as can oranges and lemons if it's not too warm and humid? The bananas should be out of the fridge to stay firm and not over-ripe. Pears and plums ought to be out of the fridge until they are ripe.

Enjoy!

Brenda Marie Hoffman said...

I've tried doing this in the past but always fail. It's probably because I really hate to cook. My idea of dinner is what can be ordered out or popped in the microwave. Maybe it's bc I have so little time between working from home, homeschooling and being a single parent LOL