Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Getting Back on Track

We've gotten off course in a big way, the news of mil's health and the travelling has my head spinning wondering, "What WERE we doing?" I had everything so organized and even if I didn't cover something one day, I knew it'd be done that week. I was tackling my 2nd grade preparations on a consist basis, I was posting here regularly with something to say or something to share. I was organized with my thoughts, my idea of what I wanted to accomplish and now I feel like I have more "projects" going than I can handle at this time.

The overhaul of our eating habits has required time, the new study of French has taken time and honestly has gotten us off track. I now have a printer and laminator so I'm slowly but surely getting things done. I haven't updated our "Books We've Read in First Grade" list, we haven't even finished The Wind in the Willows! I've taken some time away from being online and this has been healing, I need to do it more. We're so close to being done for first grade and I've learned so much this year. I really want to take those lessons learned and put them into action so that I don't make the same mistakes again. What mistakes? you may ask....

  1. Spending more time planning than doing.
  2. Adding a new project in order to procrastinate on another thing (like cleaning *smile*)
  3. Spending more time worrying about what I'm doing than focusing on what I'm doing
  4. Getting trapped into the "what is the newest, latest and greatest?"
  5. Spending too much time online talking about homeschooling with other hslers than doing the nitty-gritty work.

So, there it is- the ugly truth. Anything new and exciting can become addicted and destructive, such as blogging or having the wrong attitude in a situation. Homeschooling isn't about what we're doing, or how we're doing it and sharing our hits or misses, it's about time, it's about the kids. It's about consistency, parenting, family relationships and most of all-developing solid relationships between our kids and God. (not for everyone but this is prevalent on my list)

I've been taken off the track by discussions about Old/Young Earth, what type of books are best to be read, what is the best way to do narrations, why isn't my child doing what your child is doing?, discipline issues, and all of these are answered by "JUST DO IT." I've realized I don't have to have the "RIGHT" answers in order to move forward, I don't need to feel 100% confident in everything I do in order to be effective. I can be 10% right and still make a positive impact on my children, as long as I'm there. I can organize the information my children will learn until I'm blue in the face, but the focus needs to be on giving that information to the children and fostering their love of learning about God, life, love and discipline of the mind and body. I didn't understand when others said that faith is the most important subject to be learned. I thought, "how extreme they are", but now I see the beauty, I see the value.

Blessings,
Jessica

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty on counts #1, #2, & #3!

Maureen

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

I did exactly the same thing my first year of homeschooling. I planned and planned and reviewed curriculums and asked questions and did everything but teach. I finally had to stop myself and say "I'm ready, get on with it. So we probably have all been there. I am still a babe in the woods when it comes to homeschooling. You are doing great! Keep up the good work.

Robin aka tigerlily (from wtm boards)

Maria said...

Hi, Jessica.

Maybe it's normal when you start something, to be so much implicate.

Things will go better soon, i'm sure.

Kisses.

Sandi said...

What a great post! SOme of those are on my list too...I can get caught up in the planning too. Lately life has been so busy that I have had to do less planning and more "doing" it has actually been lots of fun!