Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Friday, January 12, 2007

The Week in Review

I'm fulfilling my New Year's resolution to document Camille's work each week. We finally got back into the groove this week and there was no tv during the day until the lessons were done. I've been touch and go with this but I've maintained this week. It's made a huge difference in Camille attention and Danny's demeanor.

Bible
We're just following along in Beginnings I, we did Week 16 and talked about 1 Samuel, including Hannah, Samuel and Saul. We've had some wonderful discussions about what God wants from us and how we can joyfully serve Him.
I'm creating a notebook for her from History Scribes' biographies so that she can document what she's learned about each person in the Bible. I also typed out all the scriptures she will be memorizing from now until we're finished and this makes it simpler for her and me to have in one place. We're still reading Leading Little Ones to God because we took a break from it for a while.

Poetry
This week I've started using The Harp and Laurel Wreath with Camille, the first couple of poems she already has memorized but I'm having her redo them anyway. I created a copybook for her where the first page is the poem and a place to draw a picture about the poem. After that she focuses on doing copywork of two lines of the poem for a week. Although she memorizes wonderfully, I think taking a little more time will help with retention. The picture below that Camille drew is supposed to be a little girl bringing something to her grandmother, I don't know why she chose to draw this but she did.



Spelling
In Spelling Workout this week we talked about contractions, this took some time for her to understand and I don't think she has it down yet but the work she did was good. We're already on Lesson 20 and there's 36 total. I'm more than confident that she will be using the C workbook for 2nd grade.

Grammar
We love FLL, we're memorizing the poem Days of the Week, we've discussed the calendar and Camille did wonderful on a narration for The Hen and the Golden Eggs. The moral portion is still a little hard for her to understand but she's 6. We're doing a lesson a day and this has helped us tremendously.



Reading
Camille is doing well with OPG, we're strengthening her decoding skills with lots of reading, including The Primer by Free and Treadwell that I got from Yesterday's Classics. She's really enjoying reading the folktales. She is also reading Math Madness, Nora Gaydos' independent readers. As our current read-aloud, we're enjoying The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor. This is a history read-aloud.

History
We've had to play catch up this week since we've been hit/miss with history. We studied the Myceaneans, barbarians and early Greeks. We need to finish our narration pages today. We combined chapters 18-20 in SOTW and just read, narrated and did our coloring pages. We have 22 more weeks to go and I want to be finished before 22 weeks so I need to figure out where we can combine and/or skip. We've been light on the projects but we're going to do one every other week.


Science
Our tadpole is on its' way to our home so we can raise it to be frog, Camille is very excited! She's counting down the days, meanwhile we've studied worms this week. She watched videos online at United Streaming about soil and worms, did her worksheet about the characteristics of a worm (that I created) and we read a poem about Worm Puree. Green Thumbs had supplementary information about worms. We placed it in all the habitats it would live, and determined what type of eater it is- omnivore, herbivore, carnivore.


Math
Camille has finished her first workbook in Horizons! There's another one to do but she is so excited that she finished one! She's a whiz at subtraction but still has a little trouble with addition, especially taking a horizontal addition problem to a vertical one. Other than that she's doing great with the calendar work we've been doing. I love how Horizons and FLL line up with concepts at times!

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Camille is doing amazing work! What nice handwriting she has too. I loved seeing your week in words and pictures.
~Becky :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun week!
Camille does beautiful work.
Thanks for sharing.
:-)
Kim W.

Anonymous said...

Where are you getting the tadpole form? We did grow a frog once and enjoyed it!

sackmom@yahoo.com
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,
That was great to see. Camille's handwriting is very good. How old is she? 6 right? I'm very impressed.
Hope you have a nice weekend.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

I had to take away tv for the week. It is a weekend thing for Madie. It is amazing how much tv really affects their attitudes. Have a great evening!

crystal said...

Oh fiddle. I was going to say "Camille's handwriting is so LOVELY!" but everyone else beat me to it! LOL. I sitll mean it!

Consent of the Governed said...

Gee... I recall the Mother Goose Rhyme as this:

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child born on the Sabbath Day,
Is fair and wise and good and gay.

How come your materials show a different version?

Jessica said...

The version I have is in FLL, it has been adapted, I guess to make it more positive and less controversial. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, we're going to switch to the version you provided! I understand what they did and why, I just don't agree. I need to look at the poems from now on, huh?

You're a doll Judy
Jessica