Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Monday, January 29, 2007

Even Such Is Time . . .

Even Such Is Time . . .
by Sir Walter Raleigh

Even such is Time, that takes in trust
Our youth, our joys, our all we have,
And pays us but with earth and dust;
Who, in the dark and silent grave,
When we have wandered all our ways,
Shuts up the story of our days;
But from this earth, this grave, this dust,
My God shall raise me up, I trust.

The poem we read aloud today during our lessons. Dh and I were talking today about wishing there was a way to index all our books' contents. If we want to find a reading about trees, then we could type in 'trees' into our wonderful imaginary indexing software and book titles would appear with page numbers. Oh how wonderful that would be and efficient too. Does it exist? Surely, it must in this day and age. Amazon has a feature where you can spend a $1 or so more and be able to view a book you purchased online but this wouldn't work for all our books.

There is joy in flipping through a book and finding a new treasure while you're looking for a particular one. This is what happened today, I was looking for a poem to describe a toddler growing up. Danny's daybed crib has now been disassembled and stored away, he's sleeping in a full size bed now. Camille and I launched Danny into his next phase with a couple screws. I'm just a little remorseful about this. He's talking much better now, although not complete sentences but he's improving.

Our discipline efforts with Danny have found a comfortable place. He may not obey the first time but I've decided that between his stubborness and mine mixed with dh's impatience this wasn't a good combination. So I relaxed a little and it has made ALL the difference. Dh has been feeling a little left out lately because I've become Danny's favorite again. Who knew that he could be so rambunctious one minute and sweet as sugar the next? I did. I forgot because I was so wrapped up in trying to establish first-time obedience in our home. Camille obeys very well and she's very compliant which can be confusing when you're bouncing between two children all day long. I don't know how other parents do it with larger families. God bless them.

Anyways, if you know a good indexing system like the one we're dreaming about, will you tell me about it?

 

1 comment:

crystal said...

Oh, I'm so glad you all liked them. I started knitting them the day you said you were going to send the book. I just wanted you to know I appreciated it!
No one every has to twist my arm to knit something, so it's nothing. I wish we lived in the same neighborhood too,,, I'd definitely be a better homeschooler! For now I'll just have to get as much as I can from your blog! I never thanked you properly for the book. It's just what we needed. Tomorrow will be our first lesson using it. Thank you SOOOOOOO much!