Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Saturday, October 11, 2008

Friday's Field Trip



We went to the Mighty 8th Heritage Museum in Pooler, Georgia yesterday for our weekly field trip. What an amazing and humbling resource for World War II. The kids were awestruck by the planes and images of war. Dh and I stood silent as a Nazi flag hung from the ceiling, the long red banner type with the symbol in the center. Beside the flag was the Jungvolk Oath (taken by ten-year-old boys on first entering the Hitler Youth):
"In the presence of this blood banner which represents our Führer, I swear to devote all my energies and my strength to the saviour of our country, Adolf Hitler. I am willing and ready to give up my life for him, so help me God."
Eerie, both Dh and I were disturbed by it. As a family, we watched presentations about how the soldiers lived while serving, we learned about Black Thursday and quite truly...you could spend a whole year just studying World War II. It was somber for me, while the kids were 'wowing', I just felt the stress of the time. There were many wonderful exhibits, it is well worth anyone's time if they are visiting the Savannah area. We'll be going back next year for a more in-depth visit when we study this time period.

Photobucket

 

No comments: