Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Thursday, April 3, 2008

Who's in Charge Here?

I have struggled lately with all that is going on in our life. I've wanted to complete our lessons and be strong for the 9 weeks before next week's planned week off. Between dh's surgery, my brainstorms about history and science-I'm giving myself a break.

I moved our learning room around yesterday and removed our computer from the room. I've pulled a bookcase from Camille's room and added it to the learning room, actually I've added two bookcases with plans to add one more. The space is more open and with the computer out, it is more of a concentrated space - less distractions.

I want a computer desk for my birthday and since I have the Brother DCP7020, it is hard to find something that will allow the printer to be near the computer without having a huge cumbersome piece of furniture. I found this...

And I think it would be perfect for storing the printer in the square area on the right, a file cabinet drawer (yay!), paper and sheet protector storage, and a cabinet away from little ones hands! I love the computer being on the left. What I don't love is that it is made of manufactured wood. Sigh. But manufactured wood is all I can afford too. I just hope this would stay together after moving. Hopefully Office Depot will have a floor model so I can really check it out.

In the next week, I hope to finish organizing our science books (including putting them on shelves), plan out the next 9 weeks with notebooking in history (TOG), figure out our next science adventure including experiments and just really get some thinking and follow-through done. I do plan to continue to inventory our books, making lists for each subject in spreadsheets so that I can add and subtract. I'm also using the spreadsheets to keep track of which books which child has read.

|Title of Book|.........................|Author|.......................|Danny|Camille|

I don't know how to make a table in Blogger, so there you go. I'm making a spreadsheet of our books by subject and listing them with an area to check off for Danny and Camille. Science is almost done, I also want to create a TOG Year 1, TOG Year 2, TOG Year 3 and TOG Year 4 lists. I'm also going to make inventories of books we have for math, grammar, poetry, music, art, french and faith. I'm purging big time. I'll find out if we need it and if we don't. I thought LibraryThing would be my saving grace in organizing the books but I'm finding that I'd rather have physical checklist and a spreadsheet to update. I will update my LibraryThing account after I finish with my own lists.

It's organizing time!

 

3 comments:

judahmo said...

Hi Jessica-
I have a blogging question for you. I see lots of people adding various sidebars and I cannot figure out how to do this. Someone told me that this option show up when she logs into blogger, but when I showed her what I get at login we couldn't find what she was talking about. Do you need to do something different if you use a Mac?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Shannon

my5wolfcubs said...

Love, love, love the desk! My dh could really use a desk w/ shelves & drawers -- I will have to show him the picture!

So where did you put the computer? I have "mine" in our family room, which is right off the kitchen. I'm trying (and have been trying, for, oh, 6 months?) to mentally move myself to a different computer in our office...hasn't happened yet! But if I ever get around to it, I'm going to put a bookcase where I'm sitting now. :)

Great idea to have spreadsheet to see which child has read which books!

Keep up the organizing, you're an inspiration!
Lee

Anonymous said...

I love the desk that you are looking into getting. I'd love something like that myself if my computer were someplace other than my living room. Right now I'm looking into finding a computer armwoir (I can't figure out how to spell that but you know it's like a wardrobe for clothes only it's for your computer) so that I'll be able to close it up when I'm not using the computer.