Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Guess what I saw!

Meet the Red-Bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)
He is a non-migrator and I've seen him on and off throughout the years at this same tree but never while I had my camera. Isn't he gorgeous? Sorry about the poor photo, he moved fast after finding what he was looking for.

We have so many nests in our yard, I feel ridiculous never noticing them before this year. Sitting in our backyard is like sitting in a large atrium, being serenaded daily.

I watched Mr. Cardinal for a while this past weekend and was able to get this fabulous shot of him. He really likes fighting or playing with the Blue Jays. I learned that Blue Jay males and females look the same. I took pictures of them too but they didn't turn out, it's harder to see them in a zoomed camera shot. Have I said that I need a better camera? Lol.


I followed this butterfly around the yard for 20 minutes before he would stay still for a photo. The poor thing, a large portion of his right wing is missing but he was huge. He is a Western Tiger Swallowtail from what my Peterson First Guide to Butterflies tells me. After we move I have full intentions of planting a naturalist garden to attract birds and butterflies.

 

5 comments:

Lisa~ said...

What a delight!

We had ducks come in our little wetland area on our property.... they have been coming and going. They are coupled Mallards.

We are still hopeful the weather will warm enough so we can plant... Its so cold here!

I enjoyed the photos...

Lisa

Anna said...

Isn't it amazing how much more you notice! We studied birds last year, and it really is eye opening. I love your photos - and hope you do get to enjoy planting a butterfly garden. We are slowly building ours, and last year we had some beautiful butterflies! (still working on attracting those monarchs though!)
St. Theophan Academy

Mom, Daniel, Bethany and Julia said...

How wonderful! You are further along in the season than we are. Our snow is still melting, but our feeders are full!

Barb said...

Great entry Jessica and a good job identifying the butterfly. We have those here too and they are large and beautiful.

I encourage you to plant the gardens to attract nature. We have both a hummingbird and a butterfly garden and we thoroughly enjoy having both to observe close at hand.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Lea said...

Beautiful pics! Are you sharing to where you will be moving?