Goal: Finish the first four year history cycle ready to tackle TOG Redesign Year 1 in 5th grade.
We are making a transition from using SOTW to Tapestry of Grace Redesign curriculum in 3rd grade (SOTW 3).
SOTW 1 = TOG Year 1: Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 3, Unit 4
SOTW 2 = TOG Year 2 : Unit 1, Unit 2
SOTW 3 = TOG Year 2: Unit 3, Unit 4 and TOG Year 3: Unit 1, Unit 2
SOTW 4 = TOG Year 3: Unit 3, Unit 4 and TOG Year 4: Units 1-4
1. Keep this year, and our tailored lessons the same. Find areas to shorten/combine within Year 2. And deal with the overflow of lessons later.
Areas to try:
- Colonial America, Unit 3 (Weeks 22-25)
- The American Revolutionary War, Unit 4 (Wks 32-34) shorten to two
2. Shorten our lessons for SOTW 2, in order to cover TOG Year 2, Units 3 & 4 and possibly keep studying through summer 2008 to start TOG Year 3 in our third year (and on schedule).
!Problem!- TOG Year 3 Redesign may not be ready when we’re ready for it which is complicated by our mid-July start date. If we wait until mid-August that “may” help but it will shift our time off in the summer as well. Something to think about.
3. Cut/combine from Year 4, possibly even allow SOTW 4 to “lead” the studies/topics.
I will have one year experience of using TOG under my belt so I should be able to utilize TOG in a manner that will make this possible.
Any advice? What would you do?
UPDATE: This is a non-issue now, we are in 3rd grade and on track with TOG Year 3. We have dropped SOTW completely which has worked out beautifully as we are enjoying TOG's books much more than SOTW. This is not to say that SOTW is not a fabulous program on its own, it just wasn't what fit for us.