Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Friday, December 29, 2006

The Month-long Week

How can you make a week seem longer? How about making a week as long as a month? Let's see, grab a 2.5 yo boy, throw in a 6.5 yo girl, mix with grandparents that wish to spoil the 2.5 yo boy rotten, a handful of brother and sister in laws with opinions about how you're parenting and stir.

Then repack your vehicle, drive to your parents house and unload. Literally, unload. Go through transitioning with 2.5 yo boy back into disciplining routine while under your own parents' supervision. Go after-Christmas shopping with your mother. Repack, cram, stuff and stack your vehicle with the Christmas booty. Drive eight hours home with 2.5 yo and 6.5 yo wanting to stop every half hour or ask how close we are.

That is how a week can seem like a month. We haven't done the actual drive yet but tomorrow I will be tackling it with dh and grateful to see our own front door. There should be a medicine or something to help deal with visiting family back to back. Why not? There's a medicine for everything else! Lol.

We've had a great Christmas though, the kids are excited about their new toys and I'm 85% happy with what was given them. Playmobil is a new toy that will be requested in the New Year for birthdays and Christmas.

I cannot wait to sleep in my own bed, for my 2.5 yo to sleep in his own bed and be able to tackle the New Year in our own home. I'm thinking about resolutions- although I would be making changes even if we weren't approaching a new year. I'll write about that next.

All I can say is that I am grateful dh brought his laptop along for the ride and that both my inlaws and parents have wireless service. I don't think I could have added arguments about what to watch on tv to the mix. I already have a Wii-crazed dh that swears using it wouldn't get out of control. Say it with me, "yeah, right!" The Wii is pretty cool but I don't want my children to grow up with video games. I stressed the point that we have brand new board games to play, as well as other games on their way once I order Camille's 2nd grade curriculum. BTW, I hope I will be able to say that I've ordered it and it's on it's way this month. Cash is a wonderful Christmas present!

I needed this break from our lessons, it has given me a chance to regroup and refocus. Taking a week off at home just isn't the same as getting away for a week. I'm excited to be going home tomorrow.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bwhahaha! Husband/father fueled video gaming is the reason our boys' heads are turning into mushy boxes! You keep it up, I used to say, "we will not have video games" in our house too. That's what happens to men/boys who grew up with the introduction of Atari. It never leaves them.