Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Sunday, March 4, 2007

La trouvaille or the discovery

I never thought I would say this, but I love the Walt Disney Company! Today after church the kids and I went to "town", the closest urban area and visited ToysRUs, BooksAMillion and Goodwill. Goodwill yielded a few finds for science and a few parenting books. In ToysRUs, I was looked for anything French- DVDs, CDs...anything. I found a Baby Einstein DVD - Baby Wordsworth: First Words around the House that had a little sticker on the front stating that it had French, Spanish and English language tracks.

It was on sale so I bought it along with BE's Language Discovery Cards (they go with the Language Nursery video) which are 29 sturdy, full-color, laminated cards designed to playfully expose your child to a variety of words, translated into seven different languages including English, Spanish, French, German, Hebrew, Japanese, and Russian, complete with pronunciation guides.

I come home with my new French materials and preview the Baby Wordsworth DVD, realizing I have 3 or 4 other Baby Einstein DVDs- they ALL have a French and Spanish language track. If you don't understand, a language track is where the words shown on the screen are in the language selected (i.e. French) and all speaking is in chosen language! What a resource!

In my excitement, I started looking at all our DVDs and some of them have language tracks! Mary Poppins; Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; Cinderella; Cheaper by the Dozen; The Lion King; Brother Bear and many more. The only ones that aren't are the Sesame Street and Thomas the Blue Engine videos we have.

Can you say immersion? I am a very happy mamma or mére!

FYI: I don't love the Walt Disney Company further than what they provide as worthwhile educational products and shows. I am not a Disney movie collector, I'd rather read the original folklores and fairy tales- I really wish Camille had never seen Beauty and the Beast. She argued about the original fairy tale vs. the Disney version the entire time I read it.

 

No comments: