Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Monday, March 5, 2007

Four Day Schedule?

This year we've attempted a five day schedule, Monday through Friday and it has not worked out. My school days are interrupted by dh, dd's dad (ex) and other outside influences wanting to have our time. While I am fine with life in general occurring there is something I can do to alleviate the stress of a "missed" day.

Dd's visitations with her dad usually run from Friday to Sunday or Saturday to Monday, with this is mind I am working towards a four day week for 2nd grade. The only variable is piano lessons.

The rough plan:

MONDAY
Bible, Handwriting/French copywork (i), Spelling (i)
Math, Grammar/Poetry Memorization, Latin lesson
History/Church History with Art integrated

TUESDAY
Bible, Handwriting/French copywork, Latin memory
Math, Grammar/Poetry Memorization, Spelling
History/Church History with Art integrated
Music

WEDNESDAY
Bible, Handwriting/French copywork, Latin memory
Math, Grammar/Poetry Memorization, Spelling
Science

THURSDAY
Bible, Handwriting/French copywork, Latin memory
Math, Grammar/Poetry Memorization, Spelling
Science, Music

FRIDAY/SATURDAY
Bible, trip to library, finish projects, Latin memory, field trips.
US Geography Notebook


*French really isn't a separate subject for us as we are constantly learning it and making it a part of our lives. I've got to figure out how we'll do Prima Latina schedule throughout the week.

I know we can do this and accomplish a great deal with focus and determination. This schedule with read-alouds and independent reading will bring our time spent to about 3 hours per day or more if we need it for History and Science. Copywork, Handwriting and Spelling are fairly independent studies and will allow me to focus on Danny or do housework. Although we are covering a vast amount of material, I feel this is completely doable and worthwhile. I just don't know how to put the subjects in order for the day, I'll leave that to Camille. I like to post for her what we'll need to cover in the day and she tends to like to choose what to do next.

I might need to have a memory session everyday that coverages scripture, Latin, and poetry every morning after Bible. I've got to think about that some more.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're actually going to a 5-day schedule for the first time in 6 years.
I'm not very happy about it. Fridays were for co-op volunteering, grocery shopping, bill paying...The few people I've talked to who use this curriculum and use a 4 day week, either have younger kids, or do long hours. The boys would not be happy about that!
I think you'll feel more relaxed with a 4 day schedule.