Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Friday, September 26, 2008

Week 2 Report

Science and Nature Studies this week...




Above is just one of the projects Camille did for Human Body this week. She also did projects for sight, touch, taste and smell from Easy Make & Learn Projects: Human Body by Donald Silver.

Photobucket

I finally got a clear photo of one of the three monarch caterpillars on our milkweed plant.

Photobucket

We watched this grasshopper katydid hatch Thursday morning in our yard and to save it, I put it in our habitat until I had finished mowing the yard. He was fun to observe.

Also this week in science, we added faces to the kids' My Body and Camille read Look at Your Eyes by Paul Showers and Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup and Yawn by Berger independently. Today (Friday) we're going on a field trip...destination unknown due to the weather but we'll post pictures later.

In History...
We finished reading Napoleon The Little Corporal and we're about to finish Part II in Of Courage Undaunted. I read Seeking Knowledge aloud to Camille because I felt she had enough independent reading for the week. Truthfully, I find Of Courage Undaunted a little boring but Camille is enjoying it. This week in history was light compared to what is coming next week.

Explorer's Bible Study: Discovery Genesis
These lessons are going well although we volley between answering orally and writing the answers. I know this isn't great but Camille has noticed that her Sunday School teacher is making mistakes in his teaching based on what she is learning in Explorer's. She said this week that she wants to correct him but that he's the teacher and she knows that is rude. I'm very happy with Explorer's, even more so than I thought I would be.

Prima Latina
Last week we did two lessons in a week, this week we've slowed down to one. Right now we're watching part of the DVD lesson on Monday, finishing it on Tuesday and then using Wednesday and Thursday to complete the exercises plus play games with the vocabulary. I'm having Camille make flashcards for her vocabulary, one card for the word and one card for the definition. We completed Lesson 3 this week.

Horizons Math 3
Nothing really to report other than it's going well.

Primary Language Lessons & Explode the Code Book 7
Also going well, Camille worked on singular and plurals this week. In Explode the Code 7, Camille is having a little trouble with matching syllables to make words, which is a new exercise in book 7. The exercises are like this:

Join the syllables to make a word that fits each meaning. Use your dictionary to help you.

Syllables: age, band, pack
1. A large box or present ________________. (answer is package)
2. A piece of cloth that covers a wound or sore _____________________. (answer is bandage)

Now I don't know if it she is assuming something but this has really tripped her up this week.

Poetry
Camille has memorized Bird Talk by Aileen Fisher in its entirety. We videotaped her reciting it but the background noise drowned her out. Next week she will start working on Merry Sunshine.

French
Camille has learned the definite and indefinite articles in Unit 2, I suspect that after next week she'll be ready to move on to Unit 3.

Piano
Camille loves her new teacher, he is having her play songs like Pop Goes the Weasel and The Lion Sleeps Tonight (from Lion King). He is now on vacation, a trip to Italy (I'm so jealous) for three weeks. She is practicing 3-4x a day of her own accord.

Afternoon Tea with Fairy Tales
This week we read Hansel and Gretel and I realized that Camille is not squirmish at all. The stepmother in the story lead into a discussion about step parents though.

Drawing with Children
This week we experimented with the Prismacolor markers, next week we'll do the relaxation techniques and start with the placement exercises.

Needlepoint
Camille LOVES this, besides piano she wants to do needlepoint whenever she can. We ran out of yarn so we're going to see if we can get some this weekend so she can finish her current project.

Composer Biography
We listened to Vivaldi 2x this week. I'm forgiving myself because this week has been very busy.

LIFE
Danny started Montessori preschool this week, on top of that we had soccer twice this week, a different time for Camille's piano lesson and a harried mom trying to get used to all the changes. There are a lot of little things I have neglected to do but I'm giving myself a pass this week.

Mom's School
I read Streams of Civilization 2 about the French Revolution and Napoleon Bonaparte. I neglected to watch Teaching the Classics this week but it was a stressful week. My other books have not come in yet, I will be picking up The Grimm Brothers book from the library. Although I was to read Presenting Miss Jane Austen first, I'll read the book on the Grimm brothers because it's available first. I'm trying.

 

5 comments:

Angela said...

I've read your saga about sending your son to the montessori school (readers leaving and all). How is he adjusting? And does your daughter enjoy a bit more one-on-one with mom?

Looks like a great week. Love the caterpillar picture.

Robin M said...

You are doing an awesome job. Sounds like they are thriving.

Have a good weekend.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Paige said...

What a great week! I'll be watching how Drawing with Children goes, I love the book, but I haven't been able to get it going yet! Thanks for sharing.

Angela said...

I'm jealous of your catepillar! I planted some milkweed at the beginning of the summer, and I still haven't had any caterpillars :(

Dana Leeds said...

Wow! You guys sound like you're having a busy, but fun, time! I love reading about what you're doing.