Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Morning (for us)

It's 10:00 am. We had a wake up call at 6:00 am after going to bed at 2:00 am. We seriously misjudged the time it would take to put together the Playmobil Castle, by two hours. All the wrappings have been torn, stomachs full of candy & chocolate and soon the ham will be put in the oven.

Just 12 hours ago, Dh was looking at the Playmobil Castle box saying, "this should only take 2 hours, no problem." I finished wrapping all the gifts and had strategically placed them around the tree, yes there is a method. Lol! At 11:00 pm, I was done and ready for bed and Dh had already had words with the castle. What to do? I went to bed, you do not mess with a man and his mission which he is high-strung about. You just do not go there. At 1:00 am, Jack woke me up with barking, I guess Dh scared him so I got up and stayed up with Dh while he finished. We left the castle unwrapped in front of the tree.

This morning I realize that I have drastically changed as a person and mother because of our homeschooling journey. My kids opened presents of wooden toys, books, art kits, educational games (real ones, not mainstream commercialized toys dressed up with an educational spin), Crusader play sets (sword/helmet/shield/breastplate), a see-saw and just good wholesome toys. The surprise? THEY WERE THRILLED. Camille loves the animal croquet set, the Moon in My Room, the Storykeeper DVDs. Danny was happier with wooden toys than the Matchbox cars he has.

Before homeschooling, I didn't realize there were products out there that were educational, fun and affordable. Outside of Melissa & Doug, I was oblivious. If we weren't homeschooling I'm sure the kids would have gotten items from the favorite movies or TV shows like Barbie, Dora the Explorer, Thomas the train, etc. All commercial stuff that just breeds more "gimme-gimmes". Believe me, we were on that cycle!



I am so grateful for the blessings of homeschooling this morning- for my kids, their hearts & minds, and what the whole experience is teaching all of us. I am grateful that this Christmas is not about instant gratification and short-term thrills, it is about fostering a childhood filled with imagination, love and thoughtfulness. That has been the best gift of all (outside of Jesus, mind you)- seeing that in my children.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I was homeschooled by my parents, and when I was twelve I can remember all of my friends asking their parents for "Guess jeans" for Christmas. I had no idea what Guess jeans were because homeschool kept me oblivious to pop culture trends; my Christmas wishes were much simpler!

Anonymous said...

I've been a reader for some time....just never had a comment, until now.
I actually laughed out loud when I read your husband saying that the castle would only take two hours. Oh my, it instantly brought back fond memories of my husband and all of his claims at quick handiwork.
I multiply the time he says it will take by two and the amount he says it will cost by three. LOL!!
Thanks for interesting info and good resources.
~ Heidi (aka jhcckkm)

Lisa~ said...

Merry Christmas Jessica and family! It sounds like a wonderful morning indeed!

Merry, Merry Christmas friend!

Lisa

Andrea said...

No pics? After all that trouble and hard work, I would love to see the castle! I'm sure it turned out beautifully!
Glad you had such a joyous Christmas!

Andrea
Heritage Academy, PA

my5wolfcubs said...

Of course they were thrilled! Those are awesome presents! :) Love the slide show -- the castle is huge, the see-saw is aerodynamic, and Jack is huge! But I'm sure you knew that last part...

I'm so glad the kids enjoyed opening their toys...now make sure Daddy gets a nap! Hope the rest of the day, and the season, are just as delightful.

Lee

CookieMonster said...

Oh, Jessica. I got all mushy and misty-eyed. I'm so glad homeschooling has brought so much more meaning into your lives.

Love the pictures. I can plainly see your kids' joy.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! It looks like you had a great day! I love that castle. I love the good wholesome toys too, though my boys (train fanatics that they are) still love Thomas the Tank Engine. We let Nana do that for them, and I can still find so many creative wonderful presents that they will love to play with.

I hope the rest of holidays are good for you and yours!
Kristiana