Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Friday, June 29, 2007

Independent Reads for 2nd Grade

I had the pleasure of being able to visit a homeschool group yesterday and I talked to a few moms about reading. One book a day, read alone for independent reading and then dd will read a section to me to see how she's doing. The whole quality/quantity thing has been on my mind lately. I think building confidence is more important than how many books she reads.

I've collected books (cheaply through various sources) for early reading. I choose books due to readability for her stage, with a mixture of reading ability, subjects are varied as well. In science and history, she will be reading books that are about the subjects we're learning, especially in history. I read A LOT last year and I should have had dd read at least one book each time we did history.

Here's her 2nd grade books that she can choose from at any time but at least one book a day but two if her selection is too easy:

  • Sacagawea and the Bravest Deal (Level 2 COFA, Ready to Read)
  • Madeline by Bemelmans
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • A Fish out of Water
  • First Flight (An I Can Read Book Level 4)
  • Oh, the Thinks you can Think! Dr. Seuss
  • Mouse Count
  • Bedtime for Frances
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Thankful Together by Holly Davis
  • Angelina and the Princess
  • Little Chick's Story
  • Go, Dog, Go!
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • On the Go by Ann Morris
  • Water's Way by Lisa Peters
  • The Statue of Liberty Step 1 book
  • Astronaut Living in Space Level 2
  • Eruption! The Story of Volcanoes Level 2
  • Animals in the Wild: Bear by Mary Hoffman
  • Baby Cougar by Beth Spanjian
  • A Silly Snow Day by Michael Coleman
  • Max and Maggie in Winter
  • Max and Maggie in Autumn
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color? Stage 2 by B.Maestro
  • Turtle's Race with Beaver by J. Bruchac
  • Hopper Hunts for Spring by Marcus Pfister
  • Bear by J. Schoenherr
  • How is a Crayon Made? by Oz Charles
  • What Makes A Shadow? by Clyde Bulla
  • Water, A First Discovery Book
  • The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings
  • Once in A Wood: Ten Tales from Aesop by Eve Rice
  • Shining Star Step 3, Step into Reading
  • Finding the Titanic Level 4
  • Solar System Level 2
  • A Wall of Names, The Story of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Step 4
  • The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
  • Air is All Around You by Franklyn Branley
  • Moonwalk The First Trip to the Moon Step 4
  • The Caterpillow Fight
  • Oozey Octopus by Suzanne Tate
  • Uncle Elephant by Arnold Lobel Level 3, I think
  • Wild Animals by Roger Priddy
  • Sam the Minuteman reader, Level 3
  • Skeletons! Skeletons! All About Bones
  • The Big Balloon Race, An I can Read Book
  • What Time Is It? A Book of Math Riddles, Level 2
  • Dinosaur Dinners Level 2
  • The Day of the Dinosaur, Berenstain First Time Readers
  • Digging Up Dinosaurs Stage 2
  • Raptors! Level 2
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • Dinosaur Time by Peggy Parish, An Early I Can Read Book
  • Up Goes the Skyscraper by Gail Gibbons
  • Dinosaur Hunters Step 4 book
  • The Big Dipper by Franklyn Branley Stage 1 Reader
  • Hey, Al by Arthur Yorinks
  • Just the Way You Are by Max Lucado
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • The Bedtime Rhyme by Walter Wangerin Jr. ***Beautiful book!
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Teach Us Amelia Bedelia, level 4
  • Little Bear's Visit
  • Where does the trail lead? by Burton Albert
  • Froggy's Halloween
  • The Germ Patrol
  • Moja means one, Swahili Counting Book by Muriel Feelings (really tests pronounciation!)
  • Gregory, the Terrible Eater
  • The Fire House Book
  • Things that Go
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Catch a Whale by the Tail, A Science I Can read book
  • Corduroy
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • The Sword in the Stone Level 2
  • It's Valentine's Day by J. Prelutsky
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC Book
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • The Ear Book
  • The Foot Book
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  • Flossie and the Fox
I've read all these books with a few exceptions (like a few of the science ones) to her already. Some we've been reading since she was 3 or 4. My goal is to establish fluency and her quality of reading while slipping in some learning in there. *wink* My dd hasn't voiced an interested in what type of books she likes yet other than Disney Princess-which I will not use. The Dr. Seuss books are for rhythm of reading aloud, she knows most of these but I want smooth reading aloud. I printed this list out so I can cross them off as she read thems. I want to see if there's a trend to her selections.

**There's a lot more than this, especially in our individual subjects which we'll get from the library.

 

1 comment:

Christie said...

I had to smile when I saw the reference to Disney princess books.

I just found your blog. I liked the post about your brochure. This is our first year of homeschooling (haven't started yet) and I think I've decided to assemble our own, individualized curriculum rather than buy from Sonlight. A little scary for the first year, but also thought-provoking and inspiring to me!