Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


Sunday, October 1, 2006

Finding a Science Curriculum Part One

If you know me, you KNOW I love to research and ask questions.




This is year is our first grade year and I followed The Well-Trained Mind's suggestions for science:

10 weeks of Human Body studies with the Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia, followed by 20 +/- weeks of Animal Kindgdom studies using the Kingfisher First Animal Encyclopedia and finishing with studies in the Plant Kingdom which uses Green Thumbs: A Kid's Activity Guide to Indoor and Outdoor Gardening for the final 6 weeks.



After purchasing the books and reading them I decided to add, Childcraft's How and Why Library: The Green Kingdom and What Your First Grader Needs To Know by E.D. Hirsch.  The above Childcraft link goes to Amazon where you can buy the book used for $0.01!

   




I created my own lesson plans, which are on the right-hand sidebar for your perusal. Pretty much I organized the Human body lessons and threw in activities and games. Our Animal lessons are more activities, I created worksheets to use and planned field trips to an animal park. Our Plant lessons, I beefed up from Green Thumbs- we'll be doing a lot of activities but also learning more from The Green Kingdom book and Hirsch's book. Those are done and being used right now.



What about next year? I looked at The Well-Trained Mind again. More Encyclopedia spines. Which means I get to create lessons all over again. Well, Earth Science is a touchy subject- what exactly does a first grader need to know?





  • Will I give her enough information to keep that spark of interest alive and growing?

  • Can I find resources for experiments easily and inexpensively? 

  • Can I create grade-level lessons myself or should I use a prepackaged curriculum?


Welcome to my Science Project!




This is my "wishlist" for our science lessons. Watch out! I may add/subtract as this project progresses!



1. A planned curriculum with simple instructions; adaptable to 2x a week.

2. Easy on the parent, but interesting for the child- experiments

3. Introduction to the scientific method without being too formal

4. Supply list or kit to purchase for experiments

5. Follows the WTM study cycle for Science: 1st-Life, 2nd-Earth, 3rd-Chemistry, 4th-Physics

6. Total cost would be less than creating the curriculum myself.

7. A plus would be an integrated study on scientists and/or inventors.

8. Gives God the credit but isn't lean on providing facts understandable for my first grader. Follows the National Science Education Standards

9. The books that accompany the curriculum doesn't add exurberant costs to the price of the curriculum. (referring to additional spines not included in curriculum cost)

10. Be able to purchase by May 2007.




See, I'm not picky. Please share with me what you've used, I'll do the research and share it with you but I'd really like to start with a poll.




What science curriculum has your homeschool used and enjoyed?

I'd love to hear why too, plus tell me what you've thrown out!

What hasn't worked is just as important as what has.



The Science Project Part Two...


 

No comments: